Unmanned Aircraft Insurance
Coverage for Commercial UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) and Drones
UAV insurance is not currently a requirement to operate a UAS business in most sates across the US. Having coverage is highly recommended for the potential damage and bodily injury a mishandled/malfunctioning UAV can cause.
Business have a greater amount of liability exposure than just the liability tied to the UAV. Our agency understands this and can provide for all of your insurance needs. This is one of the many reason the UAVSA has endorsed our agency as the preferred insurance agency for members as well as the new drone pilot directory Owlti.com
Click here for more information on the UAVSA Insurance Program.
Harpenau Insurance agency is pleased to offer a new portal on behalf of Global Aerospace where clients not currently insured by Harpenau Insurance or Global Aerospace can submit their information to have a UAV policy rated directly by a Global Aerospace Underwriter. The portal is designed for you to rate and pay for your UAV policy right when it is approved. We look forward to this partnership to provide the most competitive UAV insurance on the market today.
For businesses with special UAVs and coverage requirements that do not fit into the portal system, please download and complete our application and send it to our UAV expert Evan Garmon who can price the coverage with other markets our agency works with. Click Here to Download
Coverage We Offer
As a full service agency, we work with carriers that provide coverages not offered by many Aviation Brokers. Below is a list of coverage we can offer in addition to the UAV policy to help operators with additional coverage requirements. Please Email Evan Garmon
for more information about the extra coverages we offer.
- Hull and Liability
- Workers Compensation
-Manufacturer Products Liability
-Cyber & Data Breach Liability
-Building and Property
-Inland Marine/Equipment coverage
-Commercial Owned, Hired, Non-owned Auto
-Umbrella & Excess
-Non-Owned UAV Liability
Operator Policy Considerations
- At the very least, UAV operations should have liability coverage on their unit(s) of $1,000,000 or more. Some carriers will allow for lower limits, but our experts recommend paying the few extra hundred dollars to get the $1 million in coverage.
- Physical damage coverage / hull coverage can be considered as well. Some smaller UAVs may be better self -insured due to the cost involved. Typical cost for physical damage will range from 7.5%- 10.5% of the agreed value of the drone, however more expensive units can have prices negotiated down to 2.5%-4% when the need arises. A 5% deductible will also factor in to over all costs in the event of a loss.
- Cameras, sensors and other payloads can be covered on the same policy as long as the UAV is covered for physical damage.
- Our standard UAV policy offering will come with medical payments, premises, and non-owned UAV coverage for UAVs under 55 lbs that you rent or lease for less than 30 days. Personal injury may be included for no additional charge if there is no major publishing exposure.
- Having a Standard Operations Procedures Manual is recommended, but is not required at this time, We can provide a free template for policyholders if needed.
- Certificates of insurance can be produced for no additional premium on request.
- Premium payment options are available through our partner Capital Premium Finance for accounts with cash flow concerns.
We are passionate about help the UAV industry grow and prosper. Our commitment to our clients is to provide quick service and turnaround times as well as advice on how to properly insure your operation and comply with contract insurance requirements. For more information about UAV insurance, contact our industry expert, Evan Garmon at Evan@harpenauinsurance.com..